Date: Sunday, April 2nd
Time: 2:00 – 3:30PM
Place: Douglass-Truth Library, 2300 E. Yesler Way, Seattle WA 98122
Please bring a small easy to eat snack to share. We will do a donation project called “Make a Hand, Lend a Hand” www.studentsrebuild.org and play legos the library is providing. Families are welcome to visit the Children’s Book section too.
What is the Students Rebuild Youth Uplift Challenge?
For every paper hand we make and send in during the Youth Uplift Challenge, the Bezos Family Foundation will donate $1.90—up to $500,000—to Save the Children’s programs empowering youth in Nicaragua and Indonesia to rise into a life they dream for themselves.
Hands are unique; there are hands that are small, large, some with long fingers, and some with short—our hands represent our identity and the individual contributions we make in the world. Hands can be how we connect, how we work, how we give, how we receive, and how we literally lift one another up.
While not all of us have hands that move the same way, and there are other ways to connect, work, and uplift; it’s the simple symbolism of the hand—both lending one and accepting one—that resonates so strongly with the Youth Uplift Challenge.
Make a hand – Instructions
Instructions are for the easiest possible construction with the most accessible materials, but if you would like to use other materials or methods—including photography and digital art—please feel free. We love seeing the many creative and thoughtful ways people everywhere create for Students Rebuild!
Materials (I will provide but if you have materials to purge, bring them!)
• Paper (any kind will do so bring if you like!)
• Something to write and decorate with (markers, crayons, paint, stickers, etc.)
1. Place your non-dominant hand near the center of the paper.
2. With your pen or marker, outline your hand, starting near your wrist and continuing along to the opposite side.
3. With your pen or marker, connect your start and end points to close the hand.
4. Take your time and decorate the inside of your hand—use vibrant colors or create interesting designs!
5. Cut out your hand along the outline.
You are welcome to make as many hands as you like. If you want to continue this project, please visit http://studentsrebuild.org/youthuplift/hands for instructions on mailing hands in to be counted.
Each hand earns a $1.80 donation which will be matched at 100% making it a $3.60 donation!
Sunday, 2 April 2017 1:19 PM