Visiting Canada

A trip to Canada is a fun part of the year for most Seattle au pairs.    Prepare for your trip to Canada by reading this checklist:

1.  Find out if you need a visa for Canada by clicking here for a list of countries.

2.  If your home country is not on the above list, then you do not need a visa and you are ready to go!  Be sure to bring your DS-2019 form with you when you travel.  It does NOT need to be signed in order for you to visit Canada.

3.  If your home country is on the list above, you will need to get your travel visa.  The Canadian Consulate in Seattle is no longer accepting in-person visa applications, so you must apply by following these steps:

  • To get a visitor’s visa (also called a “temporary resident visa”), first read this checklist of required documents.
  • Fill out the application and print it out.
  • Mail your completed application along with the other required documents to this address:
  • Canadian Consulate General
    Immigration Section
    1501 Fourth Avenue,
    Suite 600, Seattle,
    WA, 98101
  • Also include a money order or cashier’s check made out to the Consulate General of Canada.   The Consulate will not accept cash, credit/debit cards, or personal checks.   The fee for a single-entry visa is $75 and for a multiple-entry visa is $150.
  • It can take at least 30 days to receive your visa, so be sure to plan ahead.  The Consulate recommends you apply 3 months in advance of your trip to Canada.(Advice care of LCC Kathleen Lonergan)

Thursday, 20 December 2012 5:49 PM


Leave a reply